At the heart of Home-Start is the belief that parents play the key role in giving their children the best start in life and that other parents have the experience and understanding to support those families who need help.
Home-Start Wokingham District has a good reputation within the Voluntary Sector, providing opportunities for volunteers to develop new skills, meet new people, feel valued and have fun, with the support of staff committed to ensuring that they get the most from their volunteering experience.
Who are Home-Start volunteers?
Our volunteers are committed and caring people who offer their time freely.
They are usually parents themselves and bring with them personal experience, skills and knowledge of the resources available within their local area.
They are friendly and approachable and can be relied on and trusted by parents to listen without being judgemental, and to respect the needs of each individual family.
- Undertake a 8 week course of preparation, which takes place one day a week. This fully prepares volunteers for their role.
- Receive lots of support both during the preparation course and after, when they are supporting Home-Start families, from a designated Coordinator.
- Can access additional training and social events throughout the year.
- Receive all out of pocket expenses incurred whilst volunteering for Home-Start.
Want to volunteer?
If you are interested in joining us as a volunteer please do contact us. We will arrange to come and visit you and tell you all about it.
Give us a call to register your interest and we will notify you when we have a date for our next course.
- Guide to volunteering for Home-Start (PDF document)